"A despairing man should have the devotion of his friends, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty." Job 6:14
I really like the notes in my study Bible. They are short, but they usually provide a good starting point for applying God's word in every day life. The notes in this chapter say "be slow to give advice to those who are hurting. They often need compassion more than they need advice."
I can completely relate to Job's statement about friends. True friends should always be there for you, to listen, to provide comfort. So many times all you want to do is vent, but your friends feel like they should give their opinion or advice. Usually it is most annoying when you know what the right course of action is, you just have to get there on your own. Your friends can't talk you into it. I am sure I have been guilty of this many times. I want to try and remember this verse now, and in the future, when my friends go through troubles. Unless my opinion is requested, from now on I am going to try to be devoted to my friends in the way that they need, not the way that I think is best.
No comments:
Post a Comment