Friday, September 17, 2010

God Remembers

So, oops! I had to restart my "start date" on my 90 day reading plan! I missed an entire week of reading, which is bad. I am still a little bit behind, but I hope I can catch up over the weekend. Thank goodness that God is better at remembering stuff than I am.

Gen. 9:16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.

Exod. 6:5 Moreover, I have heard the groaning of the Israelites, whom the Egyptians are enslaving, and I have remembered my covenant. 


I have always heard that a rainbow is a sign of God's promise to us. But it is actually a sign of his covenant, which I think is stronger than just a promise. We make and break promises all the time, to ourselves, to each other. But a covenant is serious. God made a covenant with Noah after he covered the earth in water. He made another covenant with the Israelites to bring them out of Egypt. He got them out of Egypt by drowning the Egyptians in the Red Sea. God does not just make his promises lightly. In the Old Testament, he killed off a bunch of evildoers when he made a covenant with his people. I am interested to keep reading and see under what other circumstances God makes a covenant with man. He certainly doesn't take these "promises" lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment